Ms. Regina Suitt
Region 7 and Public Policy Chair (2012–2015)
Download the COABE App
The Commission on Adult Basic Education (COABE) is 15,000 members strong and growing! Check out our free app for the latest conference and members only news and developments.
Once you download the COABE App, you'll want to check out this exciting instructional video to get the most out of your experience.
For questions about membership contact:
Michelle Chiles, Coordinator
Follow us on:
|Is Your State Represented?
Get Involved, and Bring Congress Closer to Home
• 15,000 members strong, together we can make a difference on Capitol Hill
• Become a COABE Contact for your state or region today
• Share the legislative alerts with your colleagues
• Take part in the COABE call to action
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 888-44-COABE for more details
The House and Senate reached an agreement for a nearly $1.1 trillion FY 2015 spending bill on Saturday, December 13th . It will fund most of the federal government through September 30, 2015. There was one exception and several controversial riders attached to it. The bill now goes to the President.
2015 House and Senate Recess Schedule
During Recess periods, Members of Congress are likely to be home. It is an excellent time for them to visit local programs and meet students. Most Members do not know what you do and the success and impact you have. If you show them, we are more likely to get their support. Please forward this to your local programs and encourage them to plan ahead for a visit.
COABE's Public Policy Committee has been active on behalf of the field by engaging in the following activities:
• Feedback was submitted on behalf of COABE for the Secretary of Education's request for formal comments on proposed discretionary grant priorities. Read the letter here.
• An Action Alert was sent to the Contact Network asking for program leaders and state organizations to thank the legislators who voted for WIOA.
• Information about new Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) and the Vice President's Job-Driven Training Report along with links to stay informed including the Department of Labor's and Education's WIOA web and email resources was posted on the COABE website here.
Take advantage of the new WIOA legislation to educate your policymakers at the local, state and national level.
PIAAC, Comparing Basic Skills and Competencies of Adults Around the World
Public Policy Update: Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA)
Dear Workforce Stakeholder:
Thank you joining the call last week regarding the new Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) and the Vice President's Job-Driven Training Report. We value the tremendous interest in the field and the opportunity to remain engaged with you as we implement the law and administrative actions outlined in the report. Listed below are the Department of Labor's and Education’s WIOA web and email resources. We hope that you visit the sites and email us with comments and suggestions. Also listed is the White House landing page for a link to the Job-Driven Training Report, videos, and related resources.
DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
The Department of Education’s Rehabilitation Services Administration WIOA Resource Page http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/osers/rsa/wioa-reauthorization.html
Again, thank you for joining call. We look forward to working with you over the coming months.