National Awards, Incentive Grants, and Scholarships
|J u l i e K o r n a h r e n s ,
A w a r d s C h a i r
Dear COABE members,
I am delighted to share that COABE gives prestigious, national-level awards annually! If you know someone outstanding in the field of adult education, please be sure to submit your nomination today (note: self-nominations for awards will not be accepted).
Winners receive $1,000, plus a travel stipend to attend the COABE 2015 conference, where they will be honored at a special awards event, on Wednesday, April 22nd. Winner and their nominators receive complimentary registration to attend the conference, as well! Nominations in the following categories will be accepted:
• Teacher of the Year
• Administrator of the Year
• Student of the Year
COABE also offers scholarships, valued at $2,000, and incentive grants, valued at $2,500, to promote professional development and best practices. All members with current dues may apply for a scholarship or incentive grant. If you are not sure if your membership is current, please contact email@example.com.
All nominations and applications must be received by January 31, 2015, and late submissions will not be accepted. Click here for more details.
We look forward to reviewing all the great submissions that will be sent in!
COABE Awards Chair
Description of COABE Awards
The Adult Learner of the Year Award is provided to a learner who has demonstrated leadership within the formal or non-traditional learning environments. This award is given to a student who has overcome difficult circumstances to pursue adult learning, who has supported other adult learners, and who has managed significant adult responsibilities such as those related to employment, family or community.
The Outstanding Teacher of the Year, Edgar M. Easley Award is provided to a practitioner with five or more years of adult education teaching experience that participates in school and community activities. This award is given to an individual who understands the characteristics of the adult learner and who is committed to the adult/continuing education profession.
The Adult Basic Education Administrator of the Year Award is awarded to an adult education administrator with five or more years of experience who has made an outstanding contribution toward fostering the concept of education as a continuing life-process. The awardee must demonstrate a contribution to adult education at the community, state, and/or national levels.
COABE Incentive Grants
COABE provides incentive grants which support activities or projects in the field of adult basic education through the secondary level. The best practices gained by the incentive grant winners will be archived in an online repository as a resource for the literacy field. The overall purposes of the grants are to promote:
• Field-based, practitioner-developed activities for student/faculty growth
• Program improvement through enhanced curriculum, instruction, assessment, counseling, student services, research/evaluation, or community involvement
Projects that are considered for support may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• In-house video production for orientation, staff development, instructional scenarios
• Mentor teacher or peer coaching training/implementation
• Development and dissemination of innovative instructional materials/techniques, including distance learning activities
• Assessment and evaluation procedures
• Small research projects such as student follow-up studies, classroom research on effective instructional techniques, effect of child care service on attendance, etc.
• Cross cultural training
• Systematic evaluation and training for innovative use of software for specific purposes
• Enhanced guidance activities, student services, student handbooks
• Expanded recruitment/retention strategies
• Development and implementation of student needs assessment
• Development of instructor resources such as handbooks, supplementary materials, abstracted bibliographies or materials evaluation and selection for professional libraries, developing/collecting and cataloging a realia library
• Networking/community linkages
Scholarships from COABE fund, or partially fund, college level courses of study that will advance the professional standing of COABE practitioners. Examples of scholarships include employees or volunteers in the field of adult basic education earning a degree or a state certificate/credential; obtaining an ESL certificate; teacher/counselor obtaining counselor/administrative credential; earning an advanced degree in adult education.
COABE Awards, Incentive Grants, and Scholarship Archives
Click here to view the COABE award honorees for 2014
Click here to view the COABE award honorees for 2013
Click here to view the COABE award honorees for 2012
Click here to view the COABE award honorees for 2011
Special thanks to Dollar General for its financial support in sponsoring the COABE awards, incentive grants, and scholarship program!